8. Formitable opponent
Cornyn's most formidable opponents will be Texas Women.Read
Stop Cornyn diary
on how Cornyn did not attend Lady Bird's funeral.
Reminds me of when that other idiot republican Clayton
Williams was running against Ann Richards. He thought he was
going to beat her. Then this happened.
In 1990, wealthy oil magnate Clayton Williams was the
Republican nominee in the election for Governor of Texas. His
opponent was State Treasurer Ann Richards, who had been dogged
during the Democratic primary by her own admissions of
alcoholism and unanswered questions about her marijuana use.
Fueled by the controversy, as well as bouyed by the millions
of dollars Williams had spent from his own personal fortune
on advertising, Williams enjoyed a significant lead over
Richards in the polls.
then came March. Some journalists were at Williams’ ranch to
watch a cattle roping exhibition that was taking place, but
Mother Nature had not cooperated. Gray skies and rain delayed
the event, and a restless Williams began joking with the
reporters about the weather– one of the few topics that a
politician can usually speak freely about. With cameras
rolling, a grinning Williams casually let this little beauty
bad weather is like rape: if it’s inevitable, you might as
well relax and enjoy it.”
I would like to build a house and live in the quietness of
the pause that must’ve followed that remark– that brief
second while everyone’s brain temporarily suspends all other
operations and devotes its full resources to verifying that
their ears had correctly heard and transmitted what was said.
The comment made national news that night, but despite the
furor that expectedly followed, unapologetic good old boy
Williams didn’t have the good sense to disclaim it. (If
anything, he reveled in his image as an immature playboy:
some months later, he fondly reminisced to journalists about
his trips as a young man crossing the border to pick up
Mexican prostitutes.) Williams may have been counting on the
short memory of voters, figuring that the outrage over his
joke would dissipate before the November election.
Unfortunately, the comment had a brief but stinging coda a
week before the election, when a convicted rapist repeated
Williams’ line in court during his sentencing.
Richards won the election by only 100,000 votes, having
received a record number of votes from women. Williams
returned to his corporate duties, never to darken the
political scene again.
We saw the writing on the wall > Call it poetic justice or
political Justice. Call it Lady Bird handing us another gift
from her magnificant flowers.
My point is don’t ever ever insult our Texas Women.Don’t
disrepect them in any way.Don’t discount them and don’t
ignore them. There will be serious consequences.
Alert Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
Anton Haley (53 posts) Mon Jul-16-07 03:34 AM
Response to Reply #8
11. That is an excellent point....
Junior John is anti woman, anti education, anti woman's choice, anti little person, and anti hispanic / anti minority
# Voted NO on establishing a Guest Worker program. (May 2006)
# Voted NO on allowing illegal aliens to participate in Social Security. (May 2006)
# Voted NO on giving Guest Workers a path to citizenship. (May 2006)
Junior John is a yes man for big oil, big business and outsourcing offshore.
* Voted NO on repealing tax subsidy for companies which move US jobs offshore. (Mar 2005)
* Voted YES on reforming bankruptcy to include means-testing & restrictions. (Mar 2005)
* Rated 100% by the US COC, indicating a pro-business voting record. (Dec 2003)
* Drill in Alaska; oppose global warming treaties. (Jun 2002)
* Voted NO on disallowing an oil leasing program in Alaska's AMWR. (Nov 2005)
* Voted NO on $3.1B for emergency oil assistance for hurricane-hit areas. (Oct 2005)
* Voted NO on reducing oil usage by 40% by 2025 (instead of 5%). (Jun 2005)
* Voted NO on banning drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. (Mar 2005)
* Voted YES on Bush Administration Energy Policy. (Jul 2003)
* Voted NO on targeting 100,000 hydrogen-powered vehicles by 2010. (Jun 2003)
* Voted NO on removing consideration of drilling ANWR from budget bill. (Mar 2003)
Junior John on Abortion & Same Sex Marriage
* Voted NO on $100M to reduce teen pregnancy by education & contraceptives. (Mar 2005)
* Voted YES on criminal penalty for harming unborn fetus during other crime. (Mar 2004)
* Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions except for maternal life. (Mar 2003)
* Rated 0% by NARAL, indicating a pro-life voting record. (Dec 2003)
* Voted YES on constitutional ban of same-sex marriage. (Jun 2006)
Junior John on public education
* Competition would help improve our public schools. (Jun 2002)
* Voted NO on $52M for "21st century community learning centers". (Oct 2005)
* Voted NO on $5B for grants to local educational agencies. (Oct 2005)
* Voted NO on shifting $11B from corporate tax loopholes to education. (Mar 2005)
* Rated 27% by the NEA, indicating anti-public education votes. (Dec 2003)
Junior John on JOBS
* Voted YES on raising the minimum wage to $7.25 rather than $6.25. (Mar 2005)
* Rated 0% by the AFL-CIO, indicating an anti-union voting record. (Dec 2003)
Junior John on the WAR
* Voted NO on redeploying troops out of Iraq by July 2007. (Jun 2006)
* Voted NO on investigating contract awards in Iraq & Afghanistan. (Nov 2005)
* Voted NO on requiring on-budget funding for Iraq, not emergency funding. (Apr 2005)
* Voted YES on $86 billion for military operations in Iraq & Afghanistan. (Oct 2003)
This is WATT you get from Junior John.
Junior John Had His Chance,..... He Screwed Up!
Now all he can do is "relax and enjoy it"."For the Lord will not forsake his people; he will not abandon his heritage; for justice will return to the righteous, and all the upright in heart will follow it."